We mainly offer topics that are related to our current research activities, the methodological focus is on empirical work.
|User Innovation, Open Innovation Processes, Commercial Open Source Software, Patent Infringements|
|Venture Capital, Technology Transfer, Patents and Brands|
|Renewable Technologies, Economic Aspects of Synthetic Biology, Interdisciplinary Engineering Topics|
|Markets for Technologies|
|IP related Modularity in Software Products, Platform Strategies|
|Management of Intellectual Property|
|Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management|
Please find a list of open topics below. Follow the link for detailed information. If you are interested in one of the topics, please directly contact the respective supervisor.
Measuring Interdisciplinarity Using Natural Language Processing - Claus Schöttl
Business models of start-ups in the AI space - Michael Vetter
The value of data - evaluation methods and empirical observations - Michael Vetter
- Highly recommended: Empirische Methoden and Technology and Innovation Management: Introduction*
- Application includes: Current transcript of records and CV
- Highly recommended: Empirical Research in Management and Economics and one additional course in the area of Technology and Innovation Management*
- Application includes: Bachelor certificate, current transcript of records and CV
- Focus area: Technology and Innovation Management
- Application includes: Vordiplom certificate, current transcript of records and CV
* Equivalent courses can be acknowledged after consultation.
Application and Registration
We usually have open topics available (see above).
You can also suggest a topic which is related to our research topics: Please provide a proposal of your project with your application (between one and two pages)
- Clearly define the main research question
- Outline methods and data to be used
- Make visible why the research question is interesting
You can write your thesis in cooperation with a company or write a purely research-based thesis.
Applications for a final thesis at the Chair of Technology and Innovation Management can be submitted at any time. Every two months we will review the applications and assign supervisors to successful applicants. The application deadlines are therefore as follows:
|Starting date||Application deadline||Feedback (acceptance or rejection)|
|January, February||November 15th||November 20th|
|March, April||January 15th||January 20th|
|May, June||March 15th||March 20th|
|July, August||May 15th||May 20th|
|September, October||July 15th||July 20th|
|November, December||September 15th||September 20th|
Please send your complete application documents (see Requirements) to Juliane Wissel. You will receive feedback on your application in our next feedback round.
Please note that this process does not apply for open topics. If you want to apply for an open topic, please directly contact the respective supervisor.
Hand-over of the final thesis
The following documents are required, please comply with our style guidelines:
- At the examination office (Noten- und Prüfungsverwaltung der Fakultät für Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Room 1566, Arcisstraße 21, 80333 München): 3 hard copies of the final thesis (including a signed declaration of authorship / "ehrenwörtliche Erklärung"); after 4 pm it is possible to hand in the thesis in a closed envelope, addressed to TUM School of Management, Administration (Room 1566), Arcisstraße 21, at the main entrance at Arcisstraße 21
- At the chair: Electronic versions of the final thesis (Word and PDF), electronic version of the final presentation (for Diploma thesis), Stata files (data, syntax), Endnote/Citavi literature files